Winter DrivingAuthor: Russ Janklow
The winter months can get hectic while people run errands and prepare for the holiday season. Along with the increase of motor vehicle traffic, winter also brings cold wind, snow and ice.
As a result, driving during the winter months becomes more dangerous and requires more attention. Unfortunately, many car accidents occur during the winter because of slippery road conditions. These accidents range from fender-benders to more serious and possibly life-threatening. According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHA), more than 1,300 people are killed each year in winter weather related car accidents.
When the weather gets bad, there are a few safety procedures you can follow to lower the possibility of an accident.
- Never drive while you are tired. Driving safely in poor weather conditions takes extra attention and precaution, so it’s important to be alert when traveling to your destination.
- Check the current and future weather report and make sure the roads are safe before leaving your house. Venture out at your own risk, but never attempt to drive in dangerous conditions.
- Give yourself extra driving time so you can go slowly. It takes longer to get places in the winter, so budget for that time and have patience.
- Do not use cruise control when ice or slippery conditions are present, because you may need to slow down suddenly if a car ahead of you looses control.
- Stay off of your cell phone. The last thing you need while driving during the winter is a distraction. Even small acts such as a conversation with a passenger or reaching into the back seat can be a distraction.
- Last but never least, wear your seatbelt! Even if you are a safe driver, the others around you may not be. Seatbelts save lives.
A driver can be held legally responsible for a traffic accident if they were driving recklessly or if the accident was caused due to their negligence. Make sure to document events and contact authorities immediately if you are involved in an accident.
Although we do know accidents happen, we want you to drive as safely as possible. If an accident or injury has occurred, it is important to contact an experienced attorney as quickly as possible. The attorneys at Janklow Law Firm have helped many residents reacquire funds after an accident due to winter driving conditions. Contact an attorney from Janklow Law Firm for further assistance.